I woke up this morning excited to write this post today. This was a really good week and I’m so happy and thankful that I have a space to document and celebrate that. It was typical Spring-in-Texas this week: hot, rainy, cold, windy, and allergy-ridden, but it also feels like change and change feels really good.
This Week Was Lovely Because:
- We had such a wonderful time in Scottsdale. It was fun and relaxing and even though we were only there two nights and one full day, it felt like we were somewhere. That’s Gibbs, the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess’ lobby dog (!) who was kind enough to let me pet him multiple times. Gibbs is very good at his job and made us feel very welcome and taken care of.
- Wednesday was K’s birthday! I posted on Instagram but it bears repeating, I am so very grateful that he was born. He deserves to be celebrated every day, and we’re doing a bang up job of that this week.
- I started the #100DaysProject and I think it’s a big reason why I’ve felt like I’ve been walking on sunshine all week. I have challenged myself to write one poem a day, and because I am truly a beginner in every sense of the word–I took a creative writing class in college with a unit on poetry, and I’ve read poetry–I’m having such a great time trying things out, taking risks and not taking myself too seriously. Yesterday I even rhymed! It has already opened up a whole new way of seeing things and I feel really, really inspired. I’ve been thinking about this morning’s poem all day.
This Weekend I’m Looking Forward To:
- We’re home this weekend and I’m so happy for that. I’m looking forward to spending a lot of time outside and taking walks with Mr. Long Legs up there. It’s funny, it seems like in the two days we were in Scottsdale he matured. Maybe it was spending a couple of days with my mom, who is the Dog Whisperer, maybe it was spending a couple of days away from him (absence and hearts and all that), or maybe it’s because he’s growing up. Either way, I’m getting glimpses of what he’s going to be like as a full grown dog, and it’s so good, ya’ll.
- After two weekends of travel and a week of #birthdayweek celebrations, I’m needing a food reset in a major way. Monday I’m getting down to business and cooking clean and cutting out bread. That said, on Sunday I think I may check off a bucket list item and make homemade pizza on the grill!
- My folks are spending the night with us tonight and taking us to dinner for K’s birthday. I’m looking forward to showing them our new favorite little place to eat on The Square, listening to music, and playing games.
This Inspired Me:
- These sketchbooks and travel journals by José Naranja. I found this article about them and then fell down a rabbit hole of inspiration and awe. Read the article, then look at his Instagram, Blog, and about how he binds his own journals! It makes me want to rework everything I do in my bullet journal and start a sketchbook immediately and take a book binding class.
You Should Check Out:
- This fun new game Kevin and I got this week called Lost Cities. It’s a two-person card game which we are always looking for and it’s really fun.
- The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling. It’s a two-part HBO documentary and even if you’re not into comedy, you should watch this. Garry was a fascinating, spiritual, driven, extremely creative person and while I didn’t know much about him when he was alive, I’ve devoured everything I can get my hands on since watching this. It’s a beautiful tribute and incredibly interesting and inspiring.
- This video.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, get to unplug and unwind a little, and as always, I sincerely thank you for being here.