I’m on my way to New York! My mom and I are going for a weekend girl’s trip to attend a creativity workshop taught by none other than Julia Cameron herself. The whole thing was serendipitous, or if you’re an Artist’s Way reader, it was synchronicity. We wanted to take a girls trip, and we wanted to do some sort of learning experience, and that was our only criteria.
On a whim I googled Julia Cameron speaking engagements and found a workshop at the New York Open Center that was happening the same weekend as our final week in the twelve week program. Mom found flights on sale and our favorite hotel had discounted rooms and within about 15 minutes the whole thing had been booked.
I’m so looking forward to a weekend with her in such a vibrant city. It’s going to be full of inspiration and creativity. Follow along on Instagram to see all the fun!
My Week Was Lovely Because
- Buck started puppy school and he’s so clever and is learning so fast and I guess I’m just one of those people now that brags about their dog. Who am I kidding? I’ve always been this person. This is my truth.
- I set an intention to do something creative every day, posted it here, and so far I’ve done it. When I was writing that post, I wrote in every paragraph some sort of eject-button, some way that if I failed at this, it would be okay, but I deleted it. Of course it will be okay, because this isn’t life or death, but I’m proud that I did the brave thing. It’s been a really fun week.
- I got a facial yesterday after work, and it was so relaxing and felt so nice to do something good for myself and my skin. Also, if a spa offered hour long head massages I’d pay a pretty penny. There is nothing better.
This Weekend I’m Looking Forward To
- Meeting up with our wedding coordinators in New York. My mom and I spoke to them multiple times a week leading up to the wedding, so when the wedding came and went it was kind of bittersweet! They did such a wonderful job and it felt like we had gained friends so I’m looking forward to seeing them again.
- Doing something a little out of character and kinda scary and going to The Artist’s Way workshop. I’m looking forward to learning new things and am keeping an open mind, even though going into a new place filled with new people is kind of terrifying for me.
- Dinner reservations at Little Owl. Those gravy meatball sliders have my name all over them and I’m looking forward to talking about the workshop and drinking delicious wine with my mama.
This Inspired Me
- I wrote about this podcast briefly yesterday, but I really was inspired episode 1 where he interviews his wife, Kristen Bell. Without spoiling anything, Dax prefaces the episode stating that he almost didn’t air it because they weren’t in a great place, they were bickering and on each others nerves, but that by the end of it they found their center and their love. So I was hooked–how often do you get to actually listen to a couple almost-fight? My nosy-rosy self was in. They’re pretty open about how their relationship takes work and so I wasn’t surprised by how much effort and care they exhibited. What did strike me was that they truly like each other, respect each other, trust each other, and believe that their partner is truly a good person. It was inspiring to me to see two people actively participating in their love story, and reminded me that the relationships I value most, the things and people that are the most important to me, aren’t passive. They are good because we make them good. Anyway, it’s worth a listen!
You Should Check Out
- Amy Cochran on Instagram and on her website. She’s one of my very best friends which makes me very lucky, and she’s also incredibly talented and does a little bit of everything extremely well. She’s currently painting these amazing abstract paintings; the above example now hangs in our bedroom. In addition to being a mom of three adorable boys and a prolific painter, she has a great eye for interior design and buys and sells the coolest things. She’s awesome. Check her out.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend full of inspiration and learning. I can’t wait to tell you all about our workshop and as always, thank you for being here!