I love pasta. There’s never a time when I’m not in the mood for pasta. I like it in all forms, with all sauces. It’s my favorite.
The only problem with liking pasta as much as I do, is liking pasta as much as I do. It’s no secret that a big pasta dinner isn’t the healthiest thing to indulge in every night. The carbs add up. That’s why when I find a pasta dish that I can easily lighten up by cutting down the amount of pasta I use and upping other goodies, like chicken or broccoli, I’m all for it.
That’s what I did here. I used about 4 ounces of angel hair pasta, because a little goes a long way, and I added whole lot of broccoli then some white beans for protein. The amount of pasta you’re eating is actually very little, but you’ll be full and satisfied nonetheless.
The broccoli is full of healthy fiber and the beans add some heft and protein. The sauce is made with a little olive oil and some chicken stock that has been reduced and thickened with some of the pasta water and the whole thing is topped with Parmesan cheese. It’s everything I love about pasta, and I could have it every night if I wanted!
I feel like I cracked some sort of code.
Here’s the recipe.
Angel Hair with Broccoli and White Beans (Serves between 2-3 people)
- 4 ounces angel hair pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped broccoli (about 4 heads, chopped)
- 1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the angel hair and cool according to package directions, usually around 4 minutes. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water, then drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add the olive oil and onion over medium heat. Cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more, until fragrant. Add the chopped broccoli and toss well so that it’s mixed in with the onions, garlic, and oil. Let cook until bright green, tossing/stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add chicken stock and beans, season with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover the skillet. Let cook for about 10 minutes, until the broccoli is softened and cooked through. Remove the lid and let cook for about 5 more minutes letting the sauce reduce further.
- Add the cooked angel hair pasta directly to the skillet with a splash of the reserved water. Toss well for about one minute, until the pasta is well coated in the sauce and the sauce has thickened a bit.
- Serve immediately with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.