Some may say that this isn’t cooking. That putting together a string of already made things doesn’t count as a recipe. That opening a few cans doesn’t constitute “home cooked.”
I would submit though, that in the heat of the Holidays, when we’re making lists upon lists of food to prepare and gifts to give and clothes to pack in our suitcases, a meal that comes out of your oven, no matter how it gets in that oven, is cooking. That’s a win.
With all of the food preparation that goes on during the holidays, I always find that the days preceding The Big Day are sort of forgotten about. I do all of the shopping for appetizers, entrees, and big beautiful brunches, but have nothing to spare for dinner on say, the Monday before Christmas.
In cases like this, it’s good to have some home-runs stashed away. Pre-made flatbread and pizza fixings are all you need to get dinner on the table in a fun and, most importantly, quick, way.
These pizza sticks are made with this pre-made flatbread found at Costco, but any flatbread would work. Naan from the grocery store would be fantastic, I’m sure. You could cut them into any shape you want, but I think it’s fun to cut them into sticks, which remind me of my favorite part of ordering pizza when I was a kid: the cheesy bread.
Warm up some extra marinara for dipping, and a little ranch dressing because it’s delicious and because it’s the holidays and we’re officially living in a judge-free zone. Put on a festive movie and dip away.
Any pizza toppings will do; this time I used what I had and made cheese pizza sticks and pepperoni + pepperoncini pizza sticks (a winning combination if you ask me). Buffalo or barbecue chicken would be welcome, as would a veggie combination or some sort of mediterranean party. Anything that could go on a pizza, which is to say, anything, can be made into pizza sticks.
And voila. You’ve cooked!
Here’s the “recipe.”
Quick and Easy Pizza Sticks
- 2 Pre-made flatbreads
- Marinara sauce, or canned tomato sauce doctored up with a little oregano, garlic, and pepper flakes, plus more for serving/dipping
- Fresh Mozzarella, sliced
- Shredded mozzarella
- Sliced pepperoncini (those yummy little salad peppers)
- Ranch dressing (optional, highly encouraged)
- OR: any pizza toppings your heart desires.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray two baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Place flatbreads on the baking sheets. Spread a light layer of sauce on each flatbread, then top one with fresh mozzarella cheese and a little shredded mozzarella.
- Top the other with fresh mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, shredded cheese, then pepperoncini.
- Bake both in the oven for 12 minutes, stopping once at 6 minutes to rotate the pans so to ensure even cooking. When done, the cheese should be a little browned and bubbly and the bottom of the crust should be crispy.
- Heat some of the reserved marinara in the microwave until very warm. Set aside for serving.
- Remove flatbreads onto a cutting board and cut them into sticks, about 1 1/2 inch wide. Serve on a plate with dipping sauces.