I’m in love with all things buffalo, and a big part of that is because of the copious amounts of blue cheese I get to indulge in while eating buffalo flavored items.
This dish is all about that, except moderately lighter and so you can feel better about eating it for dinner on a Monday night. Wings are delicious and should be enjoyed, but maybe not more than once a week.
I’m not speaking from experience or anything.
Lean ground chicken, blue cheese crumbles, and buffalo sauce give these their flavor, while egg and breadcrumbs do all the heavy lifting associated with meatballs.
Baking these instead of frying them also lightens them up quite a bit. Drizzle a little extra sauce on top because why not?
After a brief stint in the oven, they’re ready. They’re saucier than your typical meatballs, and if you didn’t overwork the meat, they’re incredibly tender. Serve with blue cheese dip on the side and of course, celery sticks.
I like when I can trick myself by eating something that tastes like junk but is the opposite. This is that.
Here’s the recipe:
Baked Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons buffalo sauce, plus 2 more tablespoons
- Blue cheese dip for serving
- Celery sticks for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chicken, blue cheese, panko, egg, and buffalo sauce. Mix together with a fork or clean hands until combined. Be careful not to over mix!
- Using your hands, roll chicken mixture into balls about the size of a golf ball. Place into a casserole dish.
- Drizzle remaining tablespoons of buffalo sauce over the meatballs. Place in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes, until they are cooked through.
- Serve with blue cheese dip and celery.