This gem has been sitting in my Eat This board on Pinterest since I first signed up. While I’m pretty inundated with food inspiration, from the magazines to which I subscribe or the blogs I read daily, I periodically go back to this board and peruse what I, at one time, found delicious. Every time I do this, these little enchiladas catch my eye.
I don’t know why it took me so long to actually make this, though. When I was back in Texas, I had a wonderful visit with my best friend and her sister, who just had the prettiest baby girl. She and her husband were given lots of food to welcome baby girl home, and one of these gifts were honey lime enchiladas. Ali raved about them, and that’s all it took. I made them as soon as I got home.
A quick blender cream sauce with tangy lime and sweet honey poured over chicken enchiladas? How could that be bad? Spike it with an obscene amount of cilantro as a nod to my favorite dip ever, and the result was a tangy, slightly sweet, very fresh, comfy casserole full of delicious.
These enchiladas are crispy on the edges and creamy in the middle. The honey and lime flavored chicken really shines through while the fresh cilantro cream sauce freshens the dish. I was afraid the honey would be overpowering, but it wasn’t at all. It was slightly sweet, sure, but tamed by the lime juice.
This is a great make-ahead meal too. You could assemble everything, then pour the cream sauce and cheese over the top right before you’re ready to bake. To me that means it’s great for entertaining or gift giving.
I’m glad I finally got around to making this. It is definitely a new favorite in my dinner rotation!
Here’s the recipe.
Honey Lime and Cilantro Chicken Enchiladas (loosely adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups salsa verde, divided
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, packed
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- 8 burrito size tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, honey, lime juice, chili powder, and garlic powder. Stir together and set aside. Let marinate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 1 cup of salsa verde, sour cream, cilantro, jalapeño, and salt and pepper to a mini food processor or blender. Pulse or blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Assemble the enchiladas. Pour remaining cup of salsa verde on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Add a sprinkle of cheese and 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture to the middle of a tortilla. Wrap tightly and place in the baking dish seam side down. Repeat until all the chicken mixture is gone and you have 8 enchiladas.
- Cover the enchiladas with the cilantro cream sauce, leaving about an inch on either side of the enchiladas uncovered. Top with cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted.