I promised you mac and cheese by the end of the week, and I’m delivering. This macaroni and cheese is silky and creamy and is made special with tangy goat cheese both in the sauce and dotting the crunchy top. I could make a meal out of the crunchy mac and cheese top. (Dream meal).
I wanted a single serving mac and cheese so I wouldn’t feel guilty about monopolizing the crunchy topping, which I have been known to do. Individual servings ensure fairness and also ensure that no one will encroach on your crunchy toppings. Extra goat cheese on my serving? Well, I am the chef, so I can do what I want.
These individual pots of mac and cheese are creamy, tangy, and crunchy. I love all of those things. The extra goat cheese is just heavenly.
The best part about this is that you don’t have to share. Buy some oven-proof crocks, or use some vintage ones like we have. You’ll feel like you are at a restaurant and you won’t have to share. Bonus!
Here’s the recipe.
Individual Goat Cheese Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound cavatappi pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk (of course you can use whole milk–I use skim because after all that cheese I can’t tell the difference. You do you.)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated white cheddar cheese, plus 1/4 cup extra for topping
- 1/3 cup grated fontina cheese
- 1/3 cup grated gouda cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese, divided
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (more or less)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil and cook cavatappi according to package directions, minus 1 minute. You want the pasta to be very al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add flour and whisk, forming a paste. Add milk slowly, whisking constantly. Whisk until no more clumps are present. Add seasonings and whisk. Add cheddar, fontina, gouda, and two ounces of goat cheese. Whisk until thick, adding more milk if it’s too thick.
- Add cheese sauce to the pasta and stir to combine. Divide macaroni into individual oven-proof crocks and top with remaining 2 ounces of goat cheese, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, panko bread crumbs, and finally a spray of cooking spray. Transfer crocks to oven and bake until the top is very crunchy and golden brown. The cheese should be bubbly, too.
- Serve right away, possibly with a green salad with a really acidic dressing, or just by themselves.