K and I eat what I’m going to call an irresponsible amount of buffalo chicken wings. Every time we order pizza, wings are involved. Out to dinner? Wings. Game night? So many wings. Leftover wings. Crispy wings. All of the wings all of the time.
While I’m sure there are worse things to indulge in, everyone would agree that eating wings and blue cheese dip more than once a week is probably not going to get you to your weight loss goal. Moderation is key, and while I happily enjoy our chicken wing nights, I needed a healthier option that delivers all the punch of a buffalo wing but none of the food-coma-inducing aftermath.
These buffalo chicken rice bowls do just that. They couldn’t be simpler, as they are made in the slow cooker–all you have to do is make some rice, chop up some vegetables, and throw it all together. The best part about it is you get a whole bowl of buffalo chicken goodness with a fraction of the fat an calories, so you (I) can enjoy it whenever you want.
The chicken is spicy and tangy and brings everything you’d expect out of buffalo chicken wings. The sour cream and blue cheese crumbles tame the bite of the buffalo sauce, while the green onions and celery add freshness and crunch. It’s all held together by the rice, which is a healthier option than, say, fried and breaded chicken skin.
You could change this up any way you’d like, too. If you prefer a less spicy option, barbecue or sweet teriyaki sauce would be a nice substitute. The point is it’s easy and hands off and perfect for a busy weeknight. It’s healthy without sacrificing taste, and hits all the notes of a well loved classic.
It definitely won’t be taking the place of our beloved chicken wing nights, but it does hold us over in between indulgences. Everything in moderation, right?
Here’s the recipe.
Slow-Cooker Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowls
- 2 large chicken breasts, or 3 medium sized chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package of Ranch dressing seasoning mix
- 1 cup Buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Cooked Rice
- 4 green onions, sliced, white and light green parts only
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Sour cream
- Add chicken breasts to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper then add the ranch dressing seasoning mix. Cover with buffalo sauce and water and toss gently to combine, so that all the chicken is well coated in the sauce. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, or on low for 4 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the sauce and shred or chop into small pieces. Add the chopped chicken back to the sauce and toss to coat.
- Assemble your rice bowls by adding rice to a bowl, then topping with the chicken. Add blue cheese crumbles and a dollop of sour cream, then garnish with chopped celery and green onions.