Sometimes, I crave a comprehensive dish, and sometimes I crave ingredients, and I end up with a full dish. This recipe is a product of the latter. I was inspired by this pasta recipe over at Simply Scratch, and in a move totally uncharacteristic of myself and everything I hold dear, I decided that I didn’t need the pasta. Instead, I wanted kale.
- 1 medium Butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 3 ounces goat cheese (chevre)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and place cubed squash on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage, breaking up as you go. When it is browned, transfer to a colander over a bowl and drain. Wipe out the skillet and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and add kale. Place a lid on top so that the kale can wilt. Using a spatula, toss the kale periodically until it is wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Add sausage and roasted butternut squash to the skillet and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with goat cheese.