I’m heading to the Berkshires tomorrow with my Fellowship for our annual Fall Retreat. It will be full of foliage, food, and a ropes course that involves my rarely-used knowledge of cheerleading stunts. It will be really nice to get away and relax, and I’m feeling pretty fortunate that I get to go.
Before I do though, I’m going to tell you about this simple, easy fall recipe that is not only delicious, it’s, well, simple and easy. Sweet roasted sweet potatoes with some ripe cherry tomatoes means the perfect comforting fall meal.
Now, this is a perfectly delicious side dish worthy of both a weeknight meal and a thanksgiving feast. The rich sweetness of the sweet potatoes pairs nicely with the bright sweetness of the tomatoes without being overwhelmingly sweet.
But I wasn’t making a side dish. I was making dinner. And what says dinner more than starch on starch? Nothing–unless you don’t eat carbs, in which case I must ask, what are you doing here? I cooked some rice while the potatoes were roasting, spooned some in a bowl, then topped with the sweet potatoes and tomatoes, an extra drizzle of olive oil for good measure, and because life isn’t complete without it, some Parmesan cheese.
This was a perfectly hearty and comforting fall meal. The sweet potatoes with just a touch of cinnamon were just what I needed to ring in the first crisp days up here in New England.
The burst of tomato when I bit into one of those little gems was such a welcome surprise and really cut all the starchiness going on with the potatoes and rice.
This meal was just what I needed.
In other news: Voting is still going on for the first annual American Lamb Pro-Am and I’m currently in second place! You guys have been such a tremendous help in getting me this far, now let’s finish strong! Voting goes until 5pm on Friday, October 21st and now is when your vote matters most! So head on over to the American Lamb Pro-Am Poll and cast your vote as much as your little heart desires.
Here’s the recipe:
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Spread potato cubes over baking sheet and drizzle oil over them. Season with salt, pepper and cinnamon and toss to combine.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and toss. Place them in the oven again and roast for 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven once more and add the tomatoes. Roast tomatoes and potatoes for 10-15 minutes more, just until the tomatoes start to burst.
- Serve as a side dish with Parmesan cheese on top or be like me and decide that potatoes aren’t enough starch. Throw some rice in the mix!