Hi! How the heck are you? Me? I’m sick. Sicky sick sick. I’ve been around kids for two weeks now, so it’s about time their germs take over my body, but knowing that doesn’t make me any less sick. Or resentful that my weekend is spent alternating between tea, Dayquil and Nyquil.
Later, I might try to burn it out again with my Spicy Cajun Pasta but for right now, let’s discuss something that cures all manner of illness. Let’s talk about frying. And cheese. And because we’re healthy, maybe some zucchini.
I served both with a side of marinara sauce and ranch dressing.
The mozzarella sticks were ooey and gooey just as they should be. They were crispy on the outside and perfectly seasoned, if I do say so myself.
That hand? That hand came over this morning to put a fan in my window because it’s hot in here AND he took my trash out because I’m sick and when I’m sick I turn into an immovable blob. That hand is a good hand and totally deserved the mozzarella sticks he was craving.
I mean I guess I liked them too.
Fried cheese? What’s not to like?
Here’s the recipe!
Fried Mozzarella Sticks
- 1 package mozzarella string cheese, unwrapped and cut in half
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs (more, if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 cup Canola oil
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Ranch dressing for dipping
- Assemble your breading station by cracking two eggs in a bowl and whisking them together. Pour flour on a plate. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir together to combine.
- Bread the cheese by rolling each piece of cheese in flour, then dip it in the egg, then cover it in bread crumbs. Set aside on a plate and repeat until all the cheese is breaded. If someone wants to snack on a piece of string cheese before you bread it, that’s ok.
- Put the plate into the freezer for 30 minutes to flash freeze.
- When the cheese has been in the freezer for 30 minutes, heat the oil in a heavy skillet until hot. It should sizzle when you add a drop of water. When the oil is hot, add the cheese, in batches, and fry on one side for about 1 minute, or until golden brown. Flip the cheese over and fry it on the other side for another minute until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and continue until all the cheese is fried.
- Serve with marinara and ranch!
- 2 zucchinis, cut into spears
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- salt and pepper
- Assemble the breading station by whisking the eggs in a bowl and putting the flour on a plate.
- Bread the zucchini by rolling it in flour, then dipping it in egg, then rolling it in flour again. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat oil until hot and sizzles when a drop of water is added.
- Fry the zucchini until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt and pepper while they are still hot.
- Serve with marinara or ranch! Sound familiar?