I recently had to write a short bio about myself for a work newsletter. I wrote in list form, because I learned at a blog conference that people like to read lists. So, in the spirit of lists, here’s another one:
Things that Have Happened Since You Last Heard from Me 5 Days Ago
1. While I was at my afterschool program, a mean thunderstorm moved in. I had no umbrella, naturally, so I walked to the bus in the rain, and both of my sandals broke. It was like walking with flippers.
2. My best friend who is from Boston but lives in Chicago came back to Boston and we went to a bar to watch the Bruins for her birthday. Happy Birthday Cecelia! Go B’s!
3. We walked home from said birthday party, not in the rain, mind you, and my shoe broke again, except this happened while I was wearing 4 inch heels. I stumbled and fell on cobblestone streets, and skinned my knee like a 5 year old. Then I had to walk home barefoot, because, you know, my SHOE was broken. I believe the word you’re looking for is: Ragamuffin.
4. I ate a roast beef sandwich for the first time ever, which I bought after I fell and skinned my knee, but before I succumbed to walking barefoot–I’m not an animal.
5. My life was changed by a shaved asparagus, zucchini and arugula salad.
I mentioned recently how utterly amazing shaved asparagus was. I also mentioned that I was going to try it in a salad, raw. I combined a couple of recipes I had seen in various blogs and came up with what very well may be the best salad I have ever eaten. Man, oh man was it good.
I served the salad alongside my steak and I’ll tell you, I didn’t finish my steak but I did go back for seconds of salad. It was so, so good.
I was worried that the raw asparagus would be too bitter, but it was the exact opposite. It was mild, and the raw zucchini was a little sweet. This all paired perfectly with the peppery arugula, which is absolutely my favorite green.
The Dijon-orange vinaigrette was bright and highlighted the vegetables without overpowering them, and I had leftover dressing for salads the rest of the week!
Needless to say, I’m a raw asparagus convert.
Here’s the recipe!
Shaved Vegetable Salad with Orange Dijon Vinaigrette
For the Dressing: (Adapted from Joy the Baker)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 small clove of garlic, finely minced
2 teaspoons honey
3 tablespoons of seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon Greek yogurt (I used fat free ’cause that’s what I had, don’t ya know)
1/2 cup good extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients except the oil, salt and pepper in an air-tight container and shake vigorously until combined. Add the olive oil and shake again until the dressing is emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
For the salad:
10 spears of asparagus, shaved into ribbons
1 zucchini, shaved into ribbons
2 cups arugula
Put arugula in a large salad bowl.
With a vegetable peeler shave the asparagus spears into thin ribbons and add to the arugula.
Cut the ends off of the zucchini and shave it into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. You may need to use a zigzag sawing motion, as the zucchini was a bit tougher to get into pretty ribbons. Add to the arugula and toss to combine.
When you are ready to serve, pour just enough dressing onto the vegetables so that each is coated but they are not drenched in dressing. Again, with your vegetable peeler, shave some Parmesan cheese over the whole thing and toss.